Monday, January 23, 2006

Out Of The Abundance Of The Heart

A few years ago, a brother and I went to study the Scriptures with a few men who also professed a faith in Jesus Christ. Our intention was to demonstrate that these men possessed an erroneous understanding of the word of God, especially when it came to the issue of salvation.

After arriving, we exchanged pleasantries, and sat down across from one another at a large table. Before we could start our discussion on the "issues", one of the men asked me a question. He said, "if you died today, and stood before God in judgment, and He asked you, 'why should I let you in to my heaven?', what would you tell Him?".

Without hesitation, I looked at him and answered, "I would say: Because I've done your will... I believed, repented of my sins, was baptized, preached the word, and lived faithfully...". The one who asked me the question then asked, "is there anything else?" I then listed off a few more things that I had done, and told him that that was about it. He then said to me, "so, salvation is about what you do, then?... you mentioned everything that you do, and have done, but did not mention what Jesus did...".

As realization set in, I felt as if I had been punched in the stomach. I knew that Jesus had to be my answer, but when asked, I pointed to myself, and to my works. This answer was deeply unsettling to me, and continued to haunt me until the Lord allowed me to fully realize that I had been trusting in my own works for salvation, more than I was trusting in Jesus Christ. I answered the way that I did because, as Jesus said, "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" (cf. Matt. 12:34).

Today, when I speak with people about the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ, and ask them the question that I was asked, I often hear responses that are similar, if not identical to the one that I had given years before. I realize that many are under the same deception that I was under, in some form or another, and need to be pointed to Jesus Christ. Their works, their this, their that, their whatever is the thing that they point to when faced with judgment. Instead of Jesus, and His shed blood, the reason that God should allow them into heaven is because of something that they did, or are doing.

Jesus said, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matt. 7:20-21) .

May the abundance of our heart confess Jesus on that day, and on the days leading up to it... May we look away from ourselves, our works, and what we do, and truly trust in Him.

13 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, didn't I prophesy in your name? Didn't I force out demons and do many miracles by the power and authority of your name?'
Mat 7:23 Then I will tell them publicly, 'I've never known you. Get away from me, you evil people.'

As you can see I added the I's so that it is easier to see who is claiming the glory. (Lord You) should be my word's always.

Heb 12:2 We must focus on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith. He saw the joy ahead of him, so he endured death on the cross and ignored the disgrace it brought him. Then he received the highest position in heaven, the one next to the throne of God.
Thanks I needed that.
H

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger James Rondon said...

Thanks for writing, Lucy.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

James: I cannot agree with you enough that it is not our works that allow us beyond the gates of Heaven, but it is the sacrifice that Jesus made for us that allows us into the glory of paradise. Indeed, how arrogant is the one who believes he can change the wickedness of the world through his good deeds? We must humble ourselves before we are worthy of God's grace.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger James Rondon said...

Thanks for writing, Kirk. Remember, nothing that we do can make us worthy of, or allow us to merit God's grace. Otherwise, grace wouldn't be grace. By humbling ourselves, however, we can receive the grace of God through repentance, and faith in Jesus Christ.

May the Lord bless you, and keep you...

James

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Kirk said...

James: I'm going to have to disagree with you there. While I'm sure that there is nothing the average person can do to deserve the grace of God, the fact is that I have humbled myself beyond what most people are capable of. Therefore I am certain that I am worthy of God's grace.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger James Rondon said...

Hello Kirk.

It is alright to disagree. After all, the Scripture says that "iron sharpeneth iron...". Amen? Perhaps this is a matter of semantics, or perhaps not? Either way, I would like to explore this a little further with you, if it is alright.

The word "worthy" is defined by Merriam-Webster's Dictionary as follows:

1 a : having worth or value : estimable [a worthy cause] b : honorable, meritorious [worthy candidates]

2 : having sufficient worth or importance [worthy to be remembered]

Look at definition 1b. It defines worthy as "meritorious". Therefore, I see that to say we are "worthy" of grace is much like saying that we have "merited", deserved, or have earned God's grace.

Grace, especially when it is "of God", and when it is referred to in the salvific sense, is usually defined as "unmerited favor". If that is the case, then the grace of God, by definition, cannot be "merited". If it cannot be merited, then I cannot truly consider myself to be worthy of it, at least as far as "worthy" is defined as "meritorious".

I'm sure that you would agree that we cannot merit salvation, and that we do not deserve it, or have earned it. If that is the case, then we would have a reason to boast. But salvation is by grace, through faith, and truly a gift from God, so "that no man can boast". Amen?

The Lord bless you, and keep you...

James

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

James: If you fail to recognize the fact that I have humbled myself to salvation, that's your problem. I think you need to tone down your self righteous attitude or you may learn the hard way that the Lord doesn't like boastful people. The fact is I will be going to Heaven, because I have done more good than anyone I know.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger James Rondon said...

Kirk, are you joking?

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

James: That's it. I didn't come to this site to be insulted.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I am officially confused. I am more worthy? Who has the pride problem? Humble MYSELF. When does Jesus get some credit.

For The Lord
H

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW,Im shocked!... I loved this whole thing till I started to read the comments, then was somehow GREATLY confused, And sadly disappointed. (2 Tim 2:14) Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. also read v23(Titus 3:9)..... Those disposed to strive, commonly strive about matters of small moment. But strifes of words destroy the things of God. The apostle mentions some who erred. They did not deny the resurrection, but they corrupted that true doctrine. Yet nothing can be so foolish or erroneous, but it will overturn the temporary faith of some professors. This foundation has two writings on it. One speaks our comfort. None can overthrow the faith of any whom God hath chosen. The other speaks our duty. Those who would have the comfort of the privilege, must make conscience of the duty Christ gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, Tit 2:14. The church of Christ is like a dwelling: some furniture is of great value; some of smaller value, and put to meaner uses. Some professors of religion are like vessels of wood and earth. When the vessels of dishonour are cast out to be destroyed, the others will be filled with all the fulness of God. We must see to it that we are holy vessels. Every one in the church whom God approves, will be devoted to his Master's service, and thus fitted for his use.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger James Rondon said...

Unfortunately, this was not simply a strife about words, as you have supposed. In the course of our discussion, it was clear that Kirk felt that he earned God's grace. He even went so far as to say that he is going to heaven because he has done more good than anyone he knows.

I understand the various uses of the term "worthy", "fit", and others like it in the Scriptures. But this was not what was under view.

I hope that, since our discussion, the Lord was able to reveal Kirk's pride and self-righteousness to him.

We cannot earn salvation. Otherwise, grace wouldn't be grace... And what Jesus did, would've been worthless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here for $10,000 offer